The Champalimaud Breast Unit investigates and works daily to improve the burden of breast cancer – the most common form of cancer in women and one of the principal causes of oncologic death, with around 1.7 million new cases diagnosed annually. This represents about 12% of all new cancer cases and 25% of all cancers in women. Breast Cancer is responsible for about half a million deaths per year worldwide.
At the Champalimaud Clinical Centre the Breast Unit works under the direction of Dr. Fatima Cardoso. Multidisciplinary meetings are held every week in the Breast Unit for treatment decisions, and consultations are shared between specialities whenever necessary. In the multidisciplinary meetings, medical oncologists, specialised nurses, breast surgeons, plastic surgeons, radiation oncologists, radiologists, pathologists and geneticists from the Breast Unit are joined by nuclear medicine specialists, , psycho-oncologists, nutritionists and palliative care specialists.
Our Breast Unit team is committed to achieving the best possible outcomes for our patients, while simultaneously striving to ensure quality of life and the very best standard of care. One example of this is the work done by our Oncoplastic team, who use all possible reconstruction techniques at the same time as the extraction of the tumour, in order to reduce the physical and psychological impact of the illness.
It is our belief that breakthroughs are achieved through clinical and translational research combined with outstanding medical care which follows international high quality guidelines (ESO-ESMO, St. Gallen, ASCO). All treatments and second opinions are based on scientific evidence, with various clinical trials currently underway in the Champalimaud Breast Unit and others due to open shortly.
Watch Dr. Fatima Cardoso, Director of the Breast Unit, discuss her work at the Champalimaud Centre:
Our Breast Unit doctors
- Fátima Cardoso, Breast Medical Oncologist and Director of the Breast Unit
- Maria João Cardoso, Head Breast Surgeon
- Pedro Gouveia, Breast Surgeon
- David Pinto, Breast Surgeon
- Carlos Mavioso, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon
- João Anacleto, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon
- Berta Sousa, Breast Medical Oncologist
- Joana Ribeiro, Breast Medical Oncologist
- Mauricio Chumbo, Breast Medical Oncologist
- Celeste Alves, Breast Radiologist
- Eva Batista, Breast Radiologist
- Maria Antónia Vasconcelos, Breast Radiologist
- Maria José Brito, Breast Pathologist
- Rita Marques, Breast Pathologist
- Marco Possanzini, Breast Radiation Oncologist
- Javier Morales, Breast Radiation Oncologist
- Valentina Pinzi, Breast Radiation Oncologist